On Sunday, May 4th, you can join us and tour three distinct properties:
PNC’s rescue of Elmwood is a saga that spanned more than 30 years. See the newly renovated 1805 Georgian-style
Granville County house which has been reunited with its exceptional woodwork which includes a stunning Chippendale stair.
A few miles north, Red Hill boasts a fascinating sequence of linear development where a plantation house
apparently began as a gambrel roof house in the 1770s, then was extended in the early 19th century with wings
of different forms on each side. Though not protected by PNC, its owners are dedicated preservationists.
In nearby Vance County, Pool Rock Plantation is an 1820s Federal-style house with a later 1850s Greek Revival-Italianate house designed by prominent builder Jacob Holt. Pool Rock was an early PNC “revolving fund” property.
Granville & Vance Counties Ramble Details:
- The Granville & Vance Counties Ramble is a self-guided tour (docents will be available to help answer questions), and guests provide their own transportation. The houses are approximately 15 minutes apart. Tour will be held rain or shine.
- Upon registration, participants will be emailed (or mailed) a TOUR PASS that will be required for entry at each house. TOUR PASS will include a map/directions. Guests may start the tour at whichever property they choose.
- Sites may not be handicap-accessible and there may be uneven terrain in some parking areas. Wear comfortable walking shoes.
Tickets are $15 in advance (by April 30) / $20 day of tour / children 12 & under are free.
If you’d like to purchase tickets over the phone, please call us at 919-832-3652 x 229.
Preservation North Carolina has saved over 700 historic properties in 75 years. Join us for a year-long series of tours showcasing important historic properties we have protected from the mountains to the coast (and a few that are not “ours” but are so spectacular we had to include them!).
Planned Events Include:
- May 4: Granville & Vance Counties Ramble
- May 10-11: Crabtree Jones House Tour, Raleigh
- May 18: The Cellar Open House, Enfield
- September 7: Orange County Ramble
- October 9: Executive Mansion Celebration
- (part of PNC’s Annual Conference Oct. 8-10)
- October 19: Cascine Mill (Louisburg) Celebration
- October 26: Shelby Ramble
- November 2: New Bern Celebration
- November 9: Wrightsville Beach Ramble
Additional details will be available soon. Join us for as many events as possible and help celebrate PNC’s Diamond Anniversary!
75th Anniversary sponsorships available! Sponsors will be recognized on event signage and PNC’s website through 2014.
Call 919-832-3652 ext. 224 for details.